[FOSS-GPS] BINR to RTCM

arwooldridge arwooldridge at googlemail.com
Tue May 12 16:09:39 PDT 2015

I should really repost under "UBX to RTCM3 conversion problems" or "Raw
to RTCM3" as I am not sure anyone is watching this!
Further investigation leads me to discount the unhealthy satelite postulate.
The reason this was suspected is that when observing the satellites
whose status was OK and where included in the fix /float solution, some
had zero values for P1 residuals.
However the satelites that exhibited this only did so at very high
elevations ie >= 75 degrees or so.
I am watching now Sat G04 at 75.2 degrees elevation with zero P1
The satelites are therefore not unhealthy but exhibit this strange
effect as seen by RTKnavi monitor.
I have since tried MSM messages 1075,1085,1105 plus the
1006,1019,1020,1033 in the strsvr RTCM3 conversion.
This does transmit D1 or phaserate information as does the raw data.
They give the same outage problem ( jumping out of Fix for 1 or 2
meters, sometimes more) at seemingly random times.
Using  raw ublox data from the M8N to both base and rover does not
exhibit this effect,
only when the base is converted to RTCM3 does the problem occur.
Using raw data for both rover and base gives the same curious effect of
zero P1's at high elevations. so strange though it is it does not seem
to be part of the problem.
Using a setup of three receivers one as base, one as rover1 and one as
rover2 and two strsvr's outputting simultaneously to three rtknavi
threads running concurrently, with one rtknavi useing only raw data
inputs and the other two using RTCM3 convertions via strsvr.
I was able to prove not only that the outages occurred on both rtknavis
that had RTCM3 converted inputs, but that they occurred exactly
simultaneously. (this was on rovers separated by 100 meters or so, but
using the same base station.)
The only common factor then being the generated RTCM3 stream ( the two
rtknavi's being on seperate computers)

I am puzzled that no one has come up with this as a problem as there are
many people doing this on various platforms , linux, rasberry pi, beagle
board, Emlid reach, android etc etc.
David Kelly has kindly confirmed that the effect is reproduceable.
I can reproduce it with 100% certainty ( except for the timing of the
outage, which I cannot explain, possibly due to a satelite coming in to
the solution or one dropping out?)

The question is not so much why it is happening but why not when raw
data only is used?