[FOSS-GPS] Greetings to the List

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed May 1 07:02:27 PDT 2019

Hi --

The mailing list welcome message said I should introduce myself, so here
goes...

I'm an amateur scientist, ham radio operator (N8UR), and "time-nut".  I
retired a couple of years ago from an entirely unrelated career in a
tech company.  I'm a board member and past president of TAPR, a
non-profit ham radio research and development group, and have designed a
number of time and frequency related products that TAPR sells.

In the time-nuts world we have used GPS pulse-per-second to provide
accurate time and frequency for many years.  Recently a number of us
have obtained surplus dual frequency receivers (Z-12, NetRS, etc.) and
have been experimenting with real-time correction and use of reference
sources such as the CLK93 stream to get better results than
single-frequency GPS.  The coming availability of low-cost dual
frequency receivers like the uBlox F9 makes this particularly interesting.

We've been using RTKLIB, and since I am mainly a Linux guy I started
with the Debian version which is a couple of years behind the most
recent release.  I spent a few days creating an updated Debian package
for both desktops and Raspberry Pis.  You can download the packages at
https://febo.com/pages/gps-nuts/rtklib/

Prowling around for other potential software to use led me to this list.
  I'll stand by to learn and contribute where I can.

Best regards,
John