[FOSS-GPS] "sharc" software updates?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun May 12 18:15:04 PDT 2019

Hi --

I'm working on a project where kfstark's "sharc" software
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/sharc) would be useful -- I'm talking
to some old Ashtech Z12 and uZ receivers via serial port.

It appears that there's been no work done on the program in years, and
the latest version I can find, sharc-1.00b3, won't build on a Linux
system; it has lots of classic C++ that the current g++ doesn't like,
even when telling g++ to use an older standard.  (And, by the way, there
are some corrupted tarballs out there -- some that are named as 1.00b3
are actually the much older 0.98 version.)

I was able to clear enough of the errors to get the program to compile,
but running it yields a segfault after displaying a few seconds of data
from the receiver.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to make all the fixes
that I think will be required to make this program work on a modern system.

Does anyone know if there are any updated versions of sharc around, or
of another program with similar functionality?

Thanks,
John