[FOSS4G-Oceania-discuss] Introducing Panels at FOSS4G-Oceania

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:38:36 PDT 2018

I think there is value to introduce a panel format to our
FOSS4G-Oceania/SoTM conference.

A panel topic I think is worth exploring is "How are people building
sustainable businesses around open technologies?"

At our event, we will have a concentration of people who have grappled
with this question, and have found answers. Lets create a space to
discuss this.

I've just submitted a presentation: "Cracking the elusive Open
business", which includes themes I covered in the Open Geospatial
article for Position Magazine:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dBwvc6M2fRU7_csK5rh64QscrzrXC4wl2l-gr6uG24o/edit

I think it would be good to follow up with a panel of people who have
been successful in the Open Business.

A format I've seen work well before includes:

* Have a moderator and ~ 4 panel members, and two empty chairs.

* People with questions or comments from the audience line up, sit in
the empty chairs, ask their question, have it answered by a panel
member, then vacate the seat for the next person.

Any thoughts?
* Should we introduce a panel format?
* Would this be a good way to apply the panel format?
* Is this a good topic for a panel?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier