[FOSS4G-Oceania-discuss] Childcare at FOSS4G SotM Oceania

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 21:17:40 PDT 2018

Hi all

We need to assess interest in childcare assistance at FOSS4G SotM Oceania.
A few models are possible:

- full time care (needs $$), which might suit parents of small humans who
need to be dropped off for the day (or two) so that parents can conference
like a boss
- part-time care (also needs $$), for parents who want to drop little
humans off for, say, a morning session
- child-friendliness (less $$), means that that big humans are tolerant of
little humans being in sessions, being breastfed, being around. It also
means that big humans who bring little humans need to be respectful of the
conference in general, ie exit sessions as needed to help everyone else
enjoy the conference (this is the likely model I will use, since my small
humans will be 8 and 9.5) and respect the limits of their small humans’
endurance for being stuck in conference sessions.

Things to consider:

- legal issues. If we organise childcare, it will likely need to be done by
paying a provider. That covers us all for any legal issues.
- cost issues. Doing the above is expensive. We’ve got some quotes, but
need to refine interest in using childcare and get better quotes!
- general support. Are we happy as a unit to pause talks etc briefly to let
parents escape if need be? Are we able as a group to look out for, and be
tolerant of, small humans as we get around?

Is that a reasonable set of stuff to discuss? Happy to hear your thoughts

Adam

--
Adam Steer
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer