[FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G Steering committee

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Aug 5 16:15:48 PDT 2018

On a related note ( and removing the Aust-NZ mailing list, as this is OOT), so I also change subject.
I am keen that we think ahead of how to maintain the momentum on this FOSS4G Oceania, how to administer the trickle of (potential) excess funds to next years of the conference, hand over best practice, etc.

I have seen quite a few good conferences/workshops fizz out after a single or a handful of incarnations, after the main leads decided that they had enough and no new blood was brought in in time.

I have also seen conferences die when they were handed over from enthusiasts to be owned by Associations or organisations, that then delegated the organisation without love and care to people not central in the community.

What seems (only a single opinion here) to work, is some sort of steering committee ( usually best working if there is a written down way how people get on to this, and the first instance is usually populated by people heavily involved in the first incarnation), that keeps a balance of past organisers, current year organisers, and potentially (if known) representatives of the next incarnation. Not the best one, but an example is: http://dna.fernuni-hagen.de/SSTD/index.html

May that be something to think of, and potentially link to the discussion on the OSGEO chapter. Presumably, the conference would be one of the major activities of the chapter (but, beung Oceania, may at time move beyond AU/NZ, righ)t?
M.