[FOSS4G-Oceania] Community Day Planning Checklist

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 04:09:09 PDT 2018

Looking great David! Nice work!

Here are the relevant Community Day entries in the overall timeline, for
convenience:

Community day call for project proposals 2018-08-17
Call for Community Day Project Proposals end 2018-10-19
Community Day detailed time planning 2018-10-26
Community Day participant form available 2018-10-26
Confirm Community Day project leads (based on participant interest)
2018-11-09

In the Comm Day-specific sheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DMiGC_r4Dc7r3pFt7eQas48rINw9XwbIjeLzGZ10xxI/edit#gid=565772497>,
I've started adding a few comments in the sheet. I think it's a great
start. This format looks good to me, and will help us coordinate the
planning and also have a useful record for future events. We could perhaps
tailor it a bit more for our event, one or 2 of the items are a bit generic
or don't apply.

Re: catering, Daniel has put in a whole bunch of work on sourcing caterers
for the event in general, so will be in a good position to help advise on a
way forward for catering this day.

Re: volunteers, Phil is coordinating this effort so let's keep this aligned
with that area of work.

One item in particular feels like it's left a bit late at 4 weeks before
the event (26 Oct):

Plan out the format / schedule of your event – how will the sprint run
> (introductions, time to mingle and locate a project to work on, breaks /
> meals, speakers, demos, sponsor face-to-face time)

To me, feels like this would be a good thing to get sorted out sooner
rather than later, as it defines constraints that will be helpful in doing
the overall planning. I'm thinking of 'format' as being mostly around the
general schedule etc, and not necessarily the details around which
projects, who's running them etc. I'd be inclined to set a much earlier
target for defining a general schedule for the day, and perhaps have the 26
Oct target for actually publishing a detailed version thereof.

Anyway, thanks for pulling this together. Good start, let's try to keep
some momentum here. Anyone else have any thoughts, or wish to collaborate
with David on organising the Community Day?

Thanks!
John