[FOSS4G-Oceania] Travel Grant Program implementation update

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:30:37 PDT 2018

I've had a quick think about a press release, which led me to thinking
about what our selection criteria should be.

This is a very rough straw man, first draft, and suggestions for what I
think it might look like.  I've included this content in here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hCCrIRGwmV5-JAwLEnosXBV9H9u4cNKctQqHarlOZ-o/edit?ts=5b7cf556#heading=h.46lxs471tasb

Feel free to use, delete, change, whatever as you see fit.

Cameron

**

  *FOSS4G Travel Grant Program*

*

FOSS4G is shaping up to be a successful event, and we have a limited
budget to put toward a travel grant program.

The aim of this program is to maximise our conference goals with our
limited budget. We are looking for worthy recipients, recipients who are
committed to make an impact with the opportunity provided, and we want
to stretch our limited budget as widely as possible.

      Our goals include:

  *

    Bringing the power of Open Geospatial to a wide audience.

  *

    Helping individuals become engaged in the development of Open
    Geospatial Software and Data.

  *

    Reaching and empowering a diverse community, including those who
    might not have the financial or social means to attend the conference.

      Questions to answer when applying for a travel grant

  *

    Are you from an under-represented community (recognising that
    mature, well educated males from cities are quite well represented).

  *

    Do you have skin in the game? Are you already involved in an Open
    initiative? Are you interested in joining our conference volunteers?

  *

    How do you intend to make use of what you have learn at FOSS4G to
    help you and others?

Are you looking for:

 1.

    50% Discount on registration fees

 2.

    100% Discount on registration fees

 3.

    100% Discount on registration fees + travel expenses (We only have a
    few of these available)

Attendees will be expected to source their own accommodation.

*

On 22/8/18 4:15 pm, John Bryant wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Jonah, Vasiti, and I met this afternoon to get the TGP towards
> implementation. Adam has laid some excellent groundwork, so at this
> point it's mostly a matter of working out a few of the practicalities
> and getting it launched.
>
> Adam will be following up on the OSGeo funding question next week at
> FOSS4G (we're asking for $3000). From our budget, we're allocating
> registrations and workshops for up to 5 attendees, plus $1500.
>
> Next steps are:
>
>   * prepare the application form for opening the call for applications
>     on Monday 27th August
>   * finalise selection criteria
>   * launch on 27 Aug
>   * Promote!
>
> Edoardo has jumped right on board with media stuff, which is awesome.
> See the media pipeline
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1047xhr8aUdaESgvrD-1dFd4Awqh4DgBRy_0A7am7Jzg>
> for the latest. Cameron, perhaps you'd be available to help review
> some media work this weekend?
>
> So, any insights, input, suggestions (preferably of the actionable
> variety) would be welcome. If you're interested, check out the details
> of the TGP in this folder
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/16pKJ3m_Wz9IYGu9-ZyGbSTfm1IiLIl74>,
> particularly the implementation doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hCCrIRGwmV5-JAwLEnosXBV9H9u4cNKctQqHarlOZ-o/edit>
> and the application form
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11D3bCanJ8WM0HgNNk8ZtzUZEs1esLJRPKEOfqnK3qYc/edit>.
>
> Time for getting this running is very tight, because potential
> grantees will need time to arrange visas and book travel. We're aiming
> to have grants awarded by 28 September.
>
> Cheers
> John

Cameron Shorter