[FOSS4G-Oceania] childcare/conference considerations

Greg Lauer gregory.lauer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:01:47 PDT 2018

+1 publish document only

From: FOSS4G-Oceania <foss4g-oceania-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> On Behalf Of adam steer
Sent: Friday, 24 August 2018 11:50 AM
To: foss4g-oceania <foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [FOSS4G-Oceania] childcare/conference considerations

hey all

I had some great feedback from PyConAu last week. They offer childcare at a heavily subsidised rate at their event. However, their experience is that while the program generates attention, take up is low (6 kids from ~700 people last year, one or two from the same number this year). It would cost almost $2000 to hire two carers for 8 hours for two days; and that comes with a long list of things we need to provide as well - toys, craft materials, a microwave, other stuff.

Given our numbers, what do you think? I’m heavily leaning toward making my life easier and publishing the ‘child friendly conference’ document - rather than offering childcare this time.

The document is here - further comments welcome:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_S01zTDMP1TUpLQQo3O0wmnP1UmcvW3mPSORn4h9uc/edit# <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_S01zTDMP1TUpLQQo3O0wmnP1UmcvW3mPSORn4h9uc/edit>

Should we aim to send this out early next week?

Cheers

Adam

--

Adam Steer