[FOSS4G-Oceania] Swag

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Sat Aug 25 21:14:09 PDT 2018

I like the idea of books, but raise two issues:

  *   Budget – this is a really expensive proposition. Some $10 vs 30 + for a book is a considerable problem, I believe.
  *   Book selection: I like the fact we are not generating waste, but that is only true if the book suits you. Now, this is FOSS4G, not an “esri” conference, and diversity is the keyword here. Unless it is a book about GDAL/PROJ we have an issue 😉. Not everyone uses QGIS< or Python, or R< or Java etc, and for osme there are no books. The logistics of assuring fit are immense. From the books noted, I do like those about “generic” maps, rather than one tied to a software, for sure.
I still need a bike drink bottle, though ☺

M.