[FOSS4G-Oceania] appoint OSGeo Oceania board

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:31:10 PST 2018

Hi all, following on the establishment of a new Terms of Reference for a
new organisation (OSGeo Oceania), the next step of the process is to
appoint an inaugural board of directors. From the ToR:

*The inaugural board will be appointed by (and will replace) the existing
> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018 organising committee.*

In the long run, a large committee for this group may prove unwieldy, but
for now, my feeling is that we should open it up for self-nomination by all
16 current FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018 committee members and advisors, and
allow it to evolve to the right size over time. Anyone self-nominating
should ensure they understand (and are willing to meet) the expectations
for participation as described in the ToR - we need an active board of
people willing to put in time & energy.

Also from the ToR:

> *The board aims to be diverse and inclusive, and as such, should make an
> effort to have equalrepresentation of genders and be inclusive of
> representation from Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands nations, and
> OSGeo & OSMF communities.*

As such, we may need to add new people to the board, to work towards
meeting these objectives. This could probably happen at the board's
discretion in the new year.

So, to be specific, here's what I'm proposing we do over the remainder of
this week:

   - Next 48 hours to Thursday: discuss this process, as needed, and
   express our individual interest in being on the inaugural board.
   - Thursday: raise a motion to form a new board subject to the ToR, thus
   replacing the current committee.

If & when such a motion is passed, any further business would be conducted
by the new board. Given the timing, I suspect this 'any further business'
business would be in the new year.

Thoughts? Does this seem like a reasonable approach? I don't want to rush
things, just trying to strike a balance between an undemanding pace, and
getting things to a tidy state before the Christmas break.

Cheers
John