[FOSS4G-Oceania] Community Day - tentpole and long tail events

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:29:26 PDT 2018

hey all

The community day (in my experience as a code sprint attendee *once* )
doesn’t really need MC’ing so much as a person who says ‘here are the
spaces, here is the food, go hard’. It’s not like some of the hackathon
events we see where there’s someone hustling the minions etc.

I don’t know how OpenStreetMap events usually organise, in that case it
seems like it’s useful to propose a thing to work on in advance.

On the code sprint front, the wiki idea is really just there to help people
find each other/look out for a like minded group - it can be done in many
ways not needing a wiki signup. I did sign up to a wiki, but really I just
turned up, sat at a table with some people doing random stuff and tackled a
few documentation issues. Pretty undramatic. Oh, and ate pizza and drank
coffee and talked a lot.

I think how-to’s should be stuffed into workshops - but then, as I’ve said
- I don’t know how OSM works.

…with the exception of mentorship how-tos - ie established coders/community
members identifying themselves to walk new or less confident folks through
github issues, pull requests, how to edit openstreetmap or work on a
collaborative project etc.

Everyone attending are grownups - we can assume that and self-organise a
lot of things with few cues :D

To sum up, a few specific projects of interest would be a good way to
attract folks; but we really don’t need to have it all laid out before the
day. We only need to know numbers for catering.

I plan to turn up and write docs. All the janitorial things eh? :D

Cheers

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 at 13:12, Daniel Silk <dwsilk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll be there with other LINZ attendees and can contribute to or help with
> running of OSGeo related projects (QGIS / PostGIS in particular). I have a
> little half completed hobby project that I'd like to float as a project for
> the day - anything from discussing the idea with a few people to breaking
> it into a few different pieces and having a few people working on the code
> base.
>
> I am okay with submissions opening now. I think that once ideas start
> rolling in, we should be sure to advertise a few of them in a way that
> potential attendees can understand what the day is about and how they can
> join in.
>
> I think it would be fine if everyone started the day not knowing what they
> were going to work on, so organisation in advance could be pretty light
> (but should definitely include a gathering of ideas). We need to balance
> that against the fact that we actually want people to come, so getting the
> what / why / how right when we're advertising it is important.
>
> Who else is intending on coming?

Adam Steer
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer