[FOSS4G-Oceania] Plenary Panel Session

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 04:06:22 PDT 2018

Good point. I agree this is 'for the community, by the community' and we
should aim in that direction.

But recall that we did have an email discussion about non-attending
speakers (email thread: *Conference Presenters and their Attendance, *27
June
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Conference-Presenters-and-their-Attendance-td5369372.html>),
where this was suggested as a way to mitigate concerns around speakers not
getting a discount:

*“We are aiming for an engaging and participatory conference, with minimal
distinction between presenters and attendees. While we really appreciate
all our presenters and would love to provide them with a free ticket, we
have opted instead to try and keep registration prices low and are asking
presenters to purchase a registration. If that is not possible for a
presenter, they may attend free of charge for the session they are
presenting in, and the break immediately afterwards.”*

I very much agree that the ideal is to have speakers attend, and for
attendees to speak. But for those that can't/won't, we've made this
accommodation. I'm supposing that this will apply to a very small number of
people, in any case.

So the question at hand is - do we apply this principle to a panel chair?
Or do we aim for a higher standard for this level of participation?