[FOSS4G-Oceania] Travel grant program - call for ideas

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:08:40 PDT 2018

Hi All

Considering we have ~$4 k in our budget, I think we need to put our ceiling
on support at $3 k from our budget.

I think that the document looks good, perhaps needs a bit of alignment, as
it says 10 attendees and 20 workshop tickets, then says that we could fund
7 places, which would result in maybe 7 tickets and 14 workshop places.

What I suggest is that we submit a proposal that asks for $3 k from OSGeo,
and if that's approved, we work out more finer details about implementation.

Cheers,

Alex

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 at 11:58 John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Adam, this is looking great! +1 for Friday deadline, let's
> get this out the door so we can put it into effect :)
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1) On numbers of conf passes and our contribution. Right now we're
> estimating ~10 conf regos, ~20 workshop passes. I reckon we should include
> the dollar value of these in our contribution, in addition to the Good Mojo
> cash contribution, ie:
>
> 10 conf regos @ $400 = $4000
> 20 workshop regos @ $100 = $2000
> Cash from Good Mojo = $3000
> Total Contribution = $9000
>

> 2) The other thing this raises is - we haven't accounted for the TGP conf
> & workshop regos in our budget. The workshop regos probably don't incur
> that much incremental cost, since we have a fair bit of space in the
> workshop rooms and they probably won't displace paying attendees at a 1:1
> rate, so we're just looking at the cost of catering for 10 ($400) + *maybe
> *$300 in workshop registration income. Conservatively, ~$700.
>
> But the conference registrations would be a bigger hit. Hopefully we can
> source some of these registrations from Good Mojo (donated and/or surplus
> regos), but we don't have any there yet.
>
> Supposing we don't actually hit the absolute maximum capacity for the
> venue, and we aren't using regos from the full-price pool for TGP
> attendees, the theoretical cost of these TGP regos can be brought down to
> about $2250 (more or less, depending on how you do the math).
>
> So... need to figure out where that extra $3000 is coming from. I feel
> there is potential to raise more awareness (and $$) for the Good Mojo
> program - but only if we really start working it.
>
> The other way to look at it is this:
>
> Estimated cash cost of our proposed TGP contribution: ~$6000
> Current total amount of Good Mojo cash + surplus sponsorship: ~$4090
>

> There are other things we should potentially consider for Good Mojo too,
> eg. women's breakfast, so there's currently a shortfall. I'm optimistic we
> can cover this by pushing hard on sponsorship, but there are no guarantees.
>
> *So, we're going out on a bit of a limb here by committing to the TGP as
> it stands - are we happy to do this, based on us continuing to bring in
> additional sponsorship and/or Good Mojo contributions?*

Alex Leith
0419 189 050