[FOSS4G-Oceania] Plenary Panel Session

Edoardo Neerhut ed at mapillary.com
Tue Jul 24 00:00:08 PDT 2018

A bit late to the party, but another +1 for Adam's point on choosing a
panellist from existing attendees.

I'm not actually sure what the panel topic of conversation is. It would be
good to narrow down what we want to address with the panel. I know it's in
the works
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wz8tJyVhmThjEvpwQ2htt8n1NwmTBJ5bnu827DO0GfU/edit>,
but a
general conversation on diversity would be very dull for me. I would rather
a specific topic. Diversity could be a core element of these topics.

Examples:

   - *Fostering the next generation of spatial professionals* - This could
   include questions on all sorts of diversity and trends that current
   professionals have noticed.
   - *Emerging applications of spatial - *Not the best name, but the idea
   would be to choose a diverse group of people who have been applying their
   expertise in new ways/places. Projects in remote locations throughout
   Oceania. Applications that address a marginalised group. Session would
   hopefully get others in the room thinking about the application of their
   skills in new ways.
   - *The history of OpenStreetMap in Australia *- Might be interesting to
   take a look back an OpenStreetMap in Australia and get longtime
   contributors to discuss the way data, community and methods have been
   changing. This could include a few insights from companies that have been
   changing the way contributions to OSM take place. E.g. Microsoft. Not a
   direct connection to diversity, but we could look at the kind of people who
   have been contributing and ask questions about how the objects that have
   been mapped reflect that. Alyssa Wright has spoken on this topic.

Agree with the others that a panellist makes sense after the topic has been
discussed. Deanna may very well have registered by then.