[FOSS4G-Oceania] Request from The Spatial Community Slack channel

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:06:40 PDT 2018

I'm not in support of this. -1

We haven't discussed giving any free tickets at all, yet. And with out
ceiling of 150 participants, I'm suspicious that we're going to sell out,
so we don't need any cross-promotion.

I do appreciate The Spatial Community reaching out, and I'm somewhat active
over there and have been dropping info in a couple of channels from
time-to-time.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 at 07:28 Daniel Silk <dwsilk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I received this from the kiwi admin of The Spatial Community Slack channel:
>
> > Question: is there a chance that The Spatial Community could get our
> grubby mitts on one or two tickets for FOSS4G-Oceania to use in a giveaway
> prize? Hopefully it would drum up interest in the event, as well as serve
> to drum up interest in the Slack, and give a lucky person(s) the chance to
> go, or at least attend for free.
>
> For those unaware, The Spatial Community is a 3300 member Slack channel
> for geospatial enthusiasts: http://thespatialcommunity.org/.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> My feeling is that we have only allocated free tickets to those that need
> it (e.g. travel grant programme applicants) and this should remain our
> focus.
>
> I asked if it would be possible to target a particular group (say:
> community contributors to OSM or FOSS4G that are not employed within the
> industry) for the giveaway and the response to that was a no - too hard to
> vet.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Alex Leith