[FOSS4G-Oceania] Next FOSS4G-Oceania location?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 20:18:47 PDT 2018

And here are my thoughts:

+1 for running FOSS4G-Oceania in 2019

I think there are two core factors which are setting up FOSS4G Oceania
to be successful this year:
1. The University of Melbourne has provided a free venue, which has
significantly minimised attendance costs.
2. We have had a large, very engaged organising committee, led by a very
active chair (thanks John).

In selecting a future venue, I'd be hopeful that these two criteria are
considered.

With regards to who should decide:
* We haven't defined a decision making process or decided decision
makers for selecting future event venues.
* But, I've seen our existing FOSS4G committee to be committed, ethical,
and competent. I'd suggest selecting our next venue should be delegated
to this committee, and we can refine the process for future years.

I'd suggest that people wishing to propose a venue for foss4g 2019
discuss their ideas on this email list, paying particular attention to
the two points above.

I'd think an initial proposal should be of similar depth to the
international FOSS4G "Letter of Intent" stage, with the FOSS4G
international list of questions being used as a something to consider.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_Bid_Process#Letters_of_Intent

/“Letters of Intent" are limited to a maximum of two (2) pages, and
should answer the following questions://
//1. Who is your conference chair?//
//2. Who else is on your local organizing committee (LOC)?//
//3. What is the experience of your committee members with similar events?//
//4. What is your proposed venue? (include access to Internet, room
sizes, maximum attendees)//
//5. What are your provisional dates for the conference?//
//6. Early thoughts on prices of conference attendance? (indicative
estimates)//
//7. What is the price range and general location of your proposed
accommodations and how is the//
//price-level in your area in general (e.g. costs for food, drinks)//
//8. Are you partnering with other local organizations?//
//9. What makes FOSS4G in your proposed location and with your team
compelling?/

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier