[FOSS4G-Oceania] Next FOSS4G-Oceania location?

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:08:50 PST 2018

Hi all

With two weeks to go - I’ll suggest we take a data-informed approach rather
than a data-driven approach.

We also need feedback - and we should collect some and use it. However, I
don’t think we should wait until we get survey data back before making a
decision and committing to doing *something* next year, and if anyone has
the energy to push in a letter of intent now, I reckon that’s decent
evidence that there’s sufficient momentum.

Cheers

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 20:20, Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com> wrote:

> We do need feedback on what we did well vs what we could improve. Feedback
> on venue, catering, presentations, keynotes ... etc. is very important.
>
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 19:48 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm luke-warm re putting too much emphasis on surveys.
>>
>> Will the community feel like they are adding significant value to our
>> decision making based on the effort they need to commit? If not, we are at
>> risk of being a burden to the community rather than empowering them, and
>> you will likely end up with a low voter turn out rate. (I was disappointed
>> by the level of post conference engagement I got from attendees after
>> foss4g 2009 compared to pre-conference engagement).
>>
>> Making a good decision about a conference venue requires a reasonable
>> time commitment to consider a large number of factors. Ideally you only
>> burden a few trustworthy people to take on the role (such as our conference
>> committee).
>>
>> I said something similar on the international foss4g conference committee
>> email list a while back:
>>
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2018-October/004976.html
>>
>> On 2/11/18 6:55 pm, Alex Leith wrote:
>>
>> Great idea, David. We should set up a survey to go out in the week
>> following the conference, for sure. Evaluation is key.
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 18:27 David Dean <ddean at ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Further to Andrew's point and the other discussions here:
>>>
>>> We should put this question to the conference attendees (announce it at
>>> the opening, and give a report on answers so far at the closing)
>>>
>>> 1. Should we do a conference next year?
>>> 2. Where should we do it?
>>> 3. Should we keep FOSS4G and SoTM together?
>>> 4. Should we come up with a better name?
>>> 5. Whatever else comes to mind.
>>>
>>> By harvesting names and emails from Q2 in particular we might be able to
>>> get some good people who are interested in having (and maybe even hosting)
>>> the next event in their area.
>>>
>>> - David

>> --
>>
>> Alex Leith
>> 0419 189 050

>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Technology Demystifier
>> Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant
>>
>> M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

> --
>
> Alex Leith
> 0419 189 050

Dr. Adam Steer