[FOSS4G-Oceania] Governance

Daniel Silk dwsilk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:35:39 PST 2018

If for example, incorporating in Victoria:
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/clubs-and-fundraising/incorporated-associations/become-an-incorporated-association/register-as-an-incorporated-association

The requirements are:
1. At least 5 members
2. Non-profit
3. We have a name (the hard part!)
4. We have rules (a constitution)
5. We have a purpose
6. We hold a meeting (with 21 days advance notice required) and vote to
incorporate

Later:
7. We must have an AGM within 18 months of incorporation and then within 5
months of the end of every financial year at which a financial report is
tabled and signed off by at least two members
8. We must maintain a list of members including each members name, address
and date they became a member

Seems like that's about it.

Note that the incorporated associations material for Victoria refers to a
"committee", not a "board".

------

In regards to governance then, here is my proposal.

For simplicity, let's incorporate as "OSGeo Oceania" but with a clear
purpose statement that supports not just open source geospatial software,
but open geospatial data as well. If we are an incorporated association and
name one committee member as the primary contact point with the OSM
Foundation, then we satisfy all requirements to apply to be an OSMF local
chapter.

This is similar to FOSSGIS in Germany which is also the local chapter for
both OSGeo and OSMF. The Belgian and Italian OSMF local chapters are also
organisations that are the local chapters for multiple international
organisations.

I realise that this may be seen as diluting the importance of the OSM
aspect and am happy to be challenged on this. I think it is very important
that we continue to work together and I really enjoyed that we had strong
open source geospatial, open data and OpenStreetMap aspects to our
inaugural conference. I do think that it is hard to come up with a name
that cohesively brings all of that together. It would be great to continue
to work on that snappier name for next years conference. For the
association though, the purpose statement is much more important than the
name. OSGeo has already shown that it is keen to support OpenStreetMap so I
think we can achieve our broader goals under "OSGeo Oceania".

Cheers
Daniel