[FOSS4G-Oceania] Governance

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 22:35:56 PST 2018

Hi John and others

I'm not clear yet what the minimum we can do is, in terms of a legal
entity. Do others have experience here? I had a quick read here
<https://www.ato.gov.au/Non-profit/Getting-started/In-detail/Registration/Overview-of-legal-structures/>,
but determined that I need an adult to help me with the choices!

I have served on the board of SSSI, and understand the structures of that
organisation, which is a not-for-profit in Australia, and there's a fair
bit of governance and documentation. I think the minimum if we had an
organisation like that would be a constitution and a board + the conference
organising committee for each year.

I think that creating an entity would be a great thing to achieve, and we
certainly have the core to start with, with our enthusiastic committee and
successful event. I'm a little hesitant, though, as I see that we can make
it work without one... we have a lot of avenues for support, in terms of
juggling finances and contractual agreements. SSSI, SIBA, Locate, LINZ,
etc...

One more comment about the draft document is that I think limiting
committees to those that are absolutely essential is important. So if the
legal entity needs a board, we have a board, and a conference committee. If
it just needs an annual meeting, we have an annual meeting and a conference
committee! My $0.02.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Leith