[FOSS4G-Oceania] Forum on Diversity

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:59:33 PDT 2018

I think if we run a panel we ensure that diverse voices are on it, even
stacking against the “male, male and stale” pigeon hole.

I don’t think we need to start specifically organising aspects yet, but
agreeing on the big picture is something we can do now.

Regarding what you’re saying Adam, I’m not against opening up CFP for
diverse folks... but who’s to say that we’ll get any more than we already
have? Maybe we need to specifically invite people we know? I should push
Deanna from SIBA a bit harder to attend, as her GeoRabble talk on 'Vitamin
D for the Spatial Industry' was excellent.

Regards,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 8:51 am, adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Cameron - low attendee at conference sessions happen all the time. Even
> when the community votes for things.
>
> Everyone - please read this thread, but not because it is a shining
> example in OSgeo’s history of managing diversity:
>
> There was an email thread "Diversity in FOSS4G" discussing some of these
>> points: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-August/thread.html
>>
> (direct: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-August/037710.html
> )
>
> The first few e-mails were great - then it went to both men explaining to
> women what women want to do; and non-scientists explaining to scientists
> how science works - all in one delicious e-mail thread. I responded to it -
> in a very, very, very muted fashion. I was actually really fuming -  I
> sometimes think about diving in again but just get too angry every time I
> think about it - so the conversation is effectively shut down and I’m
> hesitant to communicate with certain people involved because of their
> communication style (I’m sure you all get that from me also from time to
> time).
>

>> Reference to this research:
>> http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0956797617741719
>>
>> https://researchtheheadlines.org/2018/04/20/the-stem-gender-equality-paradox-from-fallacies-to-facts/
>>

> I’d be happy to do a journal club on this paper -  maybe it’d be a good
> georabble? I’d love to see Sarah, or Martin, or Trisha weigh in  (or any
> other academics in the community ). Actually, would someone who isn’t a
> white bloke like to propose a co-presentation at georabble on it?
>
> I certainly would not hold it up as an authoritative reference on why
> women leave STEM careers.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

Alex Leith