[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: extended, targeted call for papers if needed

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:54:14 PDT 2018

I'm in agreement with what Daniel said too.

I think we're done our best. While we may not have achieved everything we
hoped for, we do have an awesome selection of presentations from diverse
locations (based on titles and abstracts) and enough gender diversity.

We've made sure that keynotes are gender diverse, and we'll do the same
with the panelists.

I think we just need to look forwards, and keep doing our best. That's
enough.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 11:48 Andrew Harvey <andrew at alantgeo.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, at 11:31 AM, Daniel Silk wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:26 PM adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think Sarah has some great points. We can be brave and say ‘well, we
> didn’t get what we expect, so we have N slots available for a round 2 CFP,
> which is open only for women’
>

> I don't see Sarah's email, I guess it didn't come through to the list?
>

> The strategy we would employ is this:
>
> - Open a second call for papers, be open about our failure to attract a
> speaker cohort that reflects the community in the first round.
>

> Alyssa Wright's talk at State of the Map 2013 noted that:
>  - 3% of contributions to OpenStreetMap are by women
>  - 1% of participants in open source communities are women
>

> What do the women on this list feel about being focussed on as per a
> specific CFP and community vote?
>

> **We could further restrict the vote to women - talks by women, for women?
> Why not? effectively we arguably right now have talks by men for men :D
>

> We've taken a similar approach to
> https://geekfeminism.org/2012/05/21/how-i-got-50-women-speakers-at-my-tech-conference/
> and
> https://2012.jsconf.eu/2012/09/17/beating-the-odds-how-we-got-25-percent-women-speakers.html
> and http://conference.hopper.org.nz/#selection and
> https://hbr.org/2014/01/theres-no-excuse-for-all-white-male-panels.
>
> And a lot of these resources + about commentary on Twitter etc is pretty
> explicit about this point:
>
> if you are going around asking people to speak at your event and they are
> generally under-represented at your event (say, women at a tech
> conference), you need to avoid treating them in a special way.
>

> I think these proposals are going waaay down this route.
>
> There's obviously a need here to do better within this community on a
> daily basis, not just a one off effort in trying to achieve a diverse
> speaker line-up for a conference.
> The first would make the second a lot easier.
>

> +1 to all these points.
>
> I'm -1 to extending the CFP to one specific demographic. If it's extended
> I think it should be non-discriminatory.

Alex Leith
0419 189 050