[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: extended, targeted call for papers if needed

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 00:49:21 PDT 2018

I'm reluctant to aggravate here, but I have to respond to characterising
our efforts as a failure, and especially this:

*I don’t think we’ve done our best, we’ve done a bunch of stuff that fits
> within our (predominantly white male) comfort zone and then got out our
> excuse book*

As a committee, we've been discussing diversity for 9 months, and I've been
impressed with how much everyone has been on board. It's a very complex
issue, nobody has all the answers, and we've learned a lot about what we
can do.

Beyond just discussing it, we've taken many concrete actions. Many people
on this committee have put a lot of energy into this, I think it's unfair
to paint a picture of abject failure.

Rather, I see quite a bit of success, and I see our efforts so far as being
constructive steps in the right direction. We've begun a journey of
building an event that attracts diversity, and we need to continue to work
hard on it, but we also need to have some patience as we learn and develop
this over time. Part of this may be actually fostering diversity within the
community, which certainly doesn't happen overnight.

Have we created an event that is fully representative of a diverse
community? Certainly not, and there is a lot of room for improvement. But
rather than castigate ourselves for failing, let's accept this is
difficult, recognise the progress we have made, and re-calibrate our
efforts based on what we've learned.

To end on a positive note, kudos to everyone who has worked hard on making
diversity part of this event over the last 9 months, and let's make sure it
continues to be a priority. Adam, your passion for progressive thinking is
an asset to the committee, please keep it coming!