[FOSS4G-Oceania] Use of private email threads

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 16:57:19 PDT 2018

John, all,

I've noticed a few foss4g topics spinning off into private email threads.

I suspect people are trying to reduce signal-to-noise ration, which is
valid, but dangerous. Topics have a habit of getting big, and then you
have a long history of discussion you'd like to share with the
community, but it is poor form to publicly share a person's email that
was sent in private.

I'd suggest that by default:

* Be concise in communication (most of us are already good at that).

* Go private for personal specifics.

* Sometimes go private for specifics which don't require a response and
are not of general interest to others.

* Otherwise send emails to our public email lists.

* If someone emails you in private on a public topic, reply first with
"do you mind if I respond to this email thread publicly?" Once you have
the ok, respond publicly.

(I'm speaking as an old-timer who is often needing re re-remind myself
of these conventions.)

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier