[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: budget adjustment for video capture

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:29:34 PDT 2018

Hi all, I want to put forward a motion to allocate funding to the video
recording of presentations on the conference days.

Our first priorities are around delivering a successful conference for
those that attend, and doing so in a financially responsible manner, and
I'm feeling comfortable that we're clearly on track to achieve this.

But why do we do this? In a larger sense, this is all about building a
regional community, and connecting to the global community. We've put a lot
of effort into diversity initiatives, community outreach, and have worked
hard as a committee to build consensus on difficult issues, with this in
mind.

We've had a few people ask if we're doing video capture. I think video
recording presents a wonderful opportunity to strongly enhance our efforts
at community building:

   - we can reach a wider audience, multiplying our impact
   - those who are unable to attend due to time, cost, and distance can do
   so virtually, and learn about the topics, event, and community (diversity)
   - provides extended reach for our event, and the people giving
   presentations
   - can be used to promote future events (sustainability)
   - potentially gives partners and sponsors more value for their investment
   - creates a long-term record of proceedings

I've obtained 4 quotes from professional suppliers, and it looks like we
can get full service (recording & editing into separate presentations,
suitable for upload to YouTube or similar) for approximately $5000. A
benefit of this approach is that it requires little volunteer work on our
behalf to make it happen.

There have been a couple of other options raised, including:

   - asking that someone in each presentation record the session on their
   mobile phone, then upload
   - taking up Guido Stein (FOSS4G 2017 co-chair, Boston USA) on his offer
   to either send equipment, or fly to Melbourne and record sessions (our cost)

These are great ideas but will involve considerable volunteer work. I asked
a few weeks ago if there was any interest in volunteering to organise a
videorecording option, and had no takers, so I'm reading that as 'we have
enough on our volunteer plates'. That said, happy to consider other options
if someone wishes to step up.

Regarding budget, I'm confident that spending $5000 is well within our
means.

So I propose:

*Motion: we adjust our budget with a $5000 increase to be spent on video
recording & editing.*