[FOSS4G-Oceania] [OSGeo Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 - Sponsorship Prospectus

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:43:42 PDT 2019

Edorardo,

I've skimmed your documents, and sorry, I don't have time for detailed
feedback. But am providing a suggested angle that I think we should mention.

The Business Case for Open Business is different to what you are used
to. It's collaborative instead of extractive. If you want to get the
most out of OSGeo then start with:

/Ask not what OSGeo can do for you, ask what you can do for OSGeo./
(with apologies to JFK).

Because in a digital economy, collaboration out competes competition.

I've written a few essays around this topic. Eg:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-open-business-business-case.html

On 23/4/19 10:47 pm, Edoardo Neerhut wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I trust you had a lovely "very long weekend". As mentioned in our last
> committee meeting, the sponsorship prospectus is nearing completion,
> but there are few things to be done first and you can help.
>
> *If you read only one thing, let it be this:*
> /How can we provide value to sponsors in a way that aligns with the
> value and goals of our entity?/
> /
> /
> The clearer our value add and the ROI for sponsors, the easier it will
> be for them to justify sponsorship of our conference.
>
> We'd love your input, so take a look at the following docs and chime in:
>
>   * Sponsorship prospectus
>     <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kpG0DHRPYPjixTQsLyoiVrdWrgzSSmC67H9FEoL3pRU/edit> (how
>     can we make sponsorship a compelling proposition?)
>   * Sponsorship value creation
>     <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dzb0WV8Wtn2n4hSkagzV2aWOJOK_Hkkw6rIk8QdagqI/edit> (how
>     can we add value for sponsors?)
>   * Sponsorship contacts
>     <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1egdYC1QdYAwqsbXUiqWsj4Xkpgmco1Kp0iD11J7ThS8/edit#gid=131985444> (who
>     do you know that may be willing to sponsor?)
>
> Also, feel free to put your hand up if you'd like to be involved in
> the sponsorship outreach efforts.
>
> Successful sponsorship efforts means:
>
>   * The conference will return a surplus
>   * More money for good mojo activities such as:
>       o Travel grant program
>       o Making the conference more affordable for community
>         contributors and students
>       o Diversity focused initiatives such as women's breakfasts and
>         childcare subsidies.
>   * Set a strong foundation for 2020 and potential support for
>     satellite events throughout the region
>   * Daniel will have fewer grey hairs by the time November rolls around.
>
> Deadline for input is COB this Friday 26th.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ed

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier