[FOSS4G-Oceania] [OSGeo Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 - programme outline

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 14:43:56 PDT 2019

hey John, all

We need to bear in mind we have only 48 talk slots right now; and one of
our goals is to give as many people as possible the opportunity to talk
(inclusivity). In the event we get less than 48 submissions we could reach
out to speakers for some extended talks.

Right now I’d prefer to not advertise it as an option.

Cheers

Adam

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 06:09, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> As Edoardo mentioned in a side thread to this discussion, SotM is running
> a process that allows for the possibility of extending some talks [1]
> <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2019-March/038287.html>.
>
> From their CFP:
>
>> * The “Extended talk” submission type: Big ideas need time to grow. For
>> talks in this category we will allow double the time (40 min) compared
>> to the usual talks. Make sure to mention why your talk needs this
>> extended space.
>>
>> In their case, it's a matter of giving a talk 2 slots rather than 1, but
> perhaps we could consider something like having some slots that are a *bit*
> longer, eg 25+5 instead of 15+5. We could ask people to indicate when they
> submit whether they would like a longer slot if it were available, block
> out certain slots for the longer talks, and then schedule accordingly. It
> makes for a bit more of a logistical puzzle to put together, but might
> mitigate the feedback from many that talks were too short.
>
> Possible?
>
> [1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2019-March/038287.html

Dr. Adam Steer
http://spatialised.net