[FOSS4G-Oceania] [OSGeo Oceania] Suggest OSGeo Oceania board discussions come back on list

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 23:44:59 PDT 2019

Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

I have taken the time to reflect on your comments and to review the relevant discussions on the foss4g-oceania list.

***I acknowledge that the legal entity has been established with good intent by volunteers with limited time who are trying to do the right thing by the community.***

I agree that we need to move forward and resolve any remaining issues as soon as possible.

The thoughts below are contributed and intended as constructive criticism. I appreciate how difficult it can be to 'herd cats' an an open community.

Several issues jumped out at me when I reviewed the links that you provided. To be honest most of the prior discussion was new to me. I had only picked up on those few emails that were cross linked to the AustNZ/Oceania list.

One item for lessons learned:  It is unfortunate that there was limited discussion mainly via the foss4g-oceania list at the time. As I noted in my AustNZ post of 2018-08-07 [1] “I suggest that we follow the OSGeo model and have seperate bodies for the Local Chapter and the Conference Committees to allow people to balance their volunteer time as their personal situation, interests and supporting organisation allow.” This suggestion was accepted but not followed through unfortunately.

In my case, having been heavily involved in the FOSS4G-2009 LOC and active for many years in a number of other international fora, I decided to not subscribe to the foss4g-oceania list given my very limited volunteer time. Therefore I missed out on much of the discussion at the time. I won’t be the only person in this position.

As a community we will need to stay vigilent to ensure that our foss4g-oceania list is used for conference related discussion and the osgeo-oceania list is used for community related discussion. This will make it easier for all concerned to stay abreast of what is happening.

The board of the ‘legal entity’ appears to have been self appointed by members of the foss4g-oceania committee. The sooner that we get to a model that allows elections of board members and representatives by the community, the healthier off we will be as an open community.

The issues that I again refered to in my 2019-03-21 email [2] have not been addressed effectively to date. Specifically, “...talking about liability, who has the right to appoint, what to do if control is not relinquished etc etc.  Add to this, what jurisdiction to use in a multi-national group like Oceania.”

the issue of liability is addressed somewhat in the Liability section on page 6 of the Proposal for Entity Structure document [3]. However I see this as an optimistic summary. I understand that there are a number of grey areas around a Director's responsibilities that need to be looked at in closer detail. There are many areas where a Director can be personally liable. See the ASIC documentation at [4] and [5] for an overview. [5] was also referenced to in the liability summary. Our community members who are also Directors of the legal entity need to be aware of these risks and their responsibilities.  I understand that there is some type of insurance available to mitigate against these risks that may be worth investigating.

I note the decision to establish the legal entity in Australia.  There are some restrictions on non-Australian citizens becoming Directors that the Board needs to be aware of e.g. [6] and [7].

The elephant in the room has not been addressed however:
Who has the right and ability to appoint new Directors and remove Directors who have not been elected?
What mechanism has been established to remove office holders (Directors) who refuse to cede control of the legal entity when they are voted out?

Did we ever take up Jody’s offer of funding to engage appropriate external expertise to resolve these types of issues?

Disclaimer: I’m not an expert in these issues, though I am a company Director.

I think that it is important that we get these issues resolved as soon as practically possible, noting our limited volunteer time.

Please note that I’m not angling to become a Director of the new entity.  I have very limited volunteer time. Assuming that we have our discussions within an open forum, I’ll contribute where I can.

Kind regards,

Bruce

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oceania/2018-August/001929.html <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oceania/2018-August/001929.html>
[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/2019-March/001318.html <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/2019-March/001318.html>
[3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LCoaNY9xACkpE_E1pTn3pGkNV41rqmoK5QkKl2FAfwY/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LCoaNY9xACkpE_E1pTn3pGkNV41rqmoK5QkKl2FAfwY/edit>
[4] https://www.asic.gov.au/regulatory-resources/insolvency/insolvency-for-directors/directors-what-are-my-duties-as-a-director/ <https://www.asic.gov.au/regulatory-resources/insolvency/insolvency-for-directors/directors-what-are-my-duties-as-a-director/>
[5] https://www.asic.gov.au/for-business/small-business/starting-a-company/small-business-company-directors/company-director-liabilities-when-things-go-wrong/ <https://www.asic.gov.au/for-business/small-business/starting-a-company/small-business-company-directors/company-director-liabilities-when-things-go-wrong/>
[6] http://cosec.com.au/resources-media/fact-sheets/what-is-an-australian-resident-director-and-why-do-you-need-one/ <http://cosec.com.au/resources-media/fact-sheets/what-is-an-australian-resident-director-and-why-do-you-need-one/>
[7] https://legalvision.com.au/can-a-permanent-resident-or-non-citizen-be-a-company-director/ <https://legalvision.com.au/can-a-permanent-resident-or-non-citizen-be-a-company-director/>