[Aust-NZ] Fwd: OSGeo Annual General Meeting - Local Chapters please join

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:37:12 PDT 2018

The work on FOSS4G SotM Oceania is great to see. I personally would love to see it continue, with events rotated around the region.

However a note of caution from experience:

We found after organising FOSS4G-2009 that we also had a great organising team and generated considerable momentum.
However, this significant two year effort was difficult to sustain and resulted in volunteer ‘burn out' for many of the LOC.
It was also difficult to sustain the level of volunteerism support from the organisations that people worked in, particularly with their work responsibilities.
In my case and others as well I suspect, there was also the need to balance limited volunteer time between various international communities, and the local community.

Therefore, I suggest that we follow the OSGeo model and have seperate bodies for the Local Chapter and the Conference Committees to allow people to balance their volunteer time as their personal situation, interests and supporting organisation allow.

We may well find that we have the same people in leadership roles on both.

What we do need to do is to establish and maintain an open process for people to be able to contribute to, and assume leadership roles in either the Local Chapter, or the various conference committees. We also need a process to refresh these leadership roles routinely. The International OSGeo has processes that we can utilise and adapt as appropriate.

To me, this is probably a higher priority that revisiting any formalisation of the Local Chapter as a legal entity.

I have no objections to establishing this legal entity, however we do need to have a clear understanding of the consequences, risks and benefits of doing so.

We also need to understand who has the right to establish this entity and manage it as a representative of OSGeo-AustNZ. We also need to understand how we will replace this person/people/organisation when appropriate, and what process we have to force the change in the unlikely event that the person/people/organisation refuses to cede control of the legal entity in line with OSGeo-AustNZ community expectations.

It will take time to work through these issues.

@Alex and Adam,

It is good to see you both step up to represent OSGeo-AustNZ at FOSS4G-2018.

Kind regards,

Bruce