[FOSS4G-Oceania] Should Oceania pitch to host the international FOSS4G 2021?

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri May 17 03:41:35 PDT 2019

Hi all

Like John, I’m not certain we have the volunteer energy to push for a 2021
international FOSS4G. The idea seems risky - it could either really light
up the community or burn some key people out.

Yes, we’ve had amazing success and the OSGeo Oceania and FOSS4G SotM
Oceania leadership groups will continue that. I would love to see us
nurture an increasingly broad volunteer base with local events a little
longer- to grow our metaphorical flight feathers a bit more so we can soar
with confidence for an international event.

An additional challenge I see is representation - I personally would need
to see more voices from the full diversity of demographic cohorts in the
region before committing volunteer energy to an international FOSS4G.

For the 4-600 attendees range, I’d also like to consider regional Australia
(Alice Springs?) or Aotearoa/New Zealand as locations. Exotic locations
always pique my conference interest :)

I see the slow-ish trickle of responses from the regular crowd as a sign
that maybe the time isn’t right - if that becomes a flood, I’ll change my
opinion!

Cheers

Adam