[FOSS4G-Oceania] [Decision needed] What happens to the 2021 conference?

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 18:01:02 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Tl;dr: *We need to make a collective decision about the 2021 conference.*

The conference is less than a month away and we are at a pretty critical
juncture. An uncertain COVID situation has caused Auckland to postpone
until 2022 and some other hubs are in doubt. Perth looks the most likely to
go ahead successfully, but has stated that they will postpone if the COVID
situation changes.

While I would be quite disappointed to postpone, I do not want to put
together a sub-par conference. I have detailed what I perceive to be our
options here under COVID contingency planning
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xcrwLjSF4mlLUv8Rfmt_qBPoZPp2KyKTqXXErN41ydQ/edit#>.
My personal preference is that we put together a simplified online
conference together and regroup in 2022 for an in-person event.

*Making a collective decision*
Ultimately each hub is entitled to make their own decisions, but for the
health of the FOSS4G SotM Oceania brand, I think we should coordinate as
best as we can. For the hubs that are unable to run in-person events, we
should decide whether we move the conference online or postpone it to a
date in 2022. Auckland has already stated that they will postpone.

How do you feel we should proceed? Should hubs that can't meet in-person
put together an online format or should we postpone?

*Tomorrow's meeting*
FOSS4G SotM 2021 Planning
Friday, 15 October · 12:00 – 13:00 AEST
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/rxs-vvpk-rvo
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 617-675-4444‬ PIN: ‪339 595 475 9774‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/rxs-vvpk-rvo?pin=3395954759774

Regards,

Ed