[FOSS4G-Oceania] [Decision needed] What happens to the 2021 conference?

Trenham, Claire (O&A, Black Mountain) Claire.Trenham at csiro.au
Wed Oct 13 19:34:28 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Apologies, I’m just a casual by-stander, but as someone who’s deeply involved with “the future of meetings” (see https://thefutureofmeetings.wordpress.com/), I feel like this situation has, perhaps not unexpectedly, come about through not planning FOSS4G-2021 as a “digital-first” conference, but instead been driven by a desire to do face-to-face with just some support for online participation via the hybrid model. If you plan digital-first from the start (not virtual, but where digital support for all attendees is planned to enable broader accessibility), then it’s much easier to pivot to hybrid or fully online. Hybrid is the toughest to plan and implement and most expensive, so unless you’re very confident you can pull off an in-person event, planning for virtual options from the start is pragmatic in the current travel environment.
I’d note even CarpentriesCon for 2022 have already made the call to be online.
Sure, catching up in person is fabulous. But we’re no longer in a world where that can be realistically expected, for so many reasons not just related to travel restrictions, but also funding availability, inclusivity of those with caring responsibilities, and aversion to unnecessary carbon emissions.
I’d encourage the FOSS4G-Oceania organising committee to read the TFOM report<https://zenodo.org/record/4345562#.YWeVFRpBw2x> and give serious consideration to the advantages of a digital-first approach so that disappointment doesn’t recur and a broader range of people are able to participate.

Kind regards,
Claire

Claire Trenham
Experimental Scientist
Oceans & Atmosphere | CSIRO
Climate Science Centre | Sea level, waves, and coastal extremes
Claire.Trenham at csiro.au<mailto:Claire.Trenham at csiro.au> | +61 2 6246 5232
GPO Box 1700, CANBERRA ACT 2601

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present.

CSIRO Australia’s National Science Agency  |  csiro.au<https://my.csiro.au/OrgInfo/Structure/Support/CorpAffairs/What-we-do/Brand-and-Marketing/www.csiro.au>