[FOSS4G-Oceania] [Decision needed] What happens to the 2021 conference?

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 20:55:55 PDT 2021

Thanks Claire. I'll need to dive deeper on the report, but it looks like
there is a lot of useful info that we can reference for future conference
planning.

Just some context regarding this committee. It is rather by design that
FOSS4G SotM Oceania has not been planned as a digital first conference. In
the early days of conference planning, there seemed to be shared sentiment
of online conference fatigue and thus in-person events were favoured. This
worked well in 2020 because risk was distributed across a variety of hub
locations and we put on a successful conference with in-person events.
Surprisingly the COVID outlook for our region will be worse this November
than it was November in 2020. The distributed model that reduced risk last
year is making an online pivot harder, though still possible.

It is likely that the future of FOSS4G SotM Oceania will resemble 2018 and
2019 where it is held in one location. When this happens, we should
definitely design the type of conference that is accessible online. With
one location setting up filming and livestream becomes less challenging.

I'll make sure to read through the report and see how we can incorporate
that into future planning.

Cheers,

Ed