[Foss4g2008loc] Lessons 2007 and more costs

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Nov 8 11:51:54 EST 2007

On 7-Nov-07, at 11:32 PM, Carrin Martin wrote:

> Who pays for the banners that are in the prospectus, is that us or
> them.

Them, sponsors bring their own banners.

> I think we need to be clear on that, otherwise we have to get quotes
> which need to be added to the budget.

Can't hurt to be explicit in case people misunderstand.

> I think we need to decide how many people are going to get in free, if
> any.  Obviously we can't expect invited guests to pay, but if that is
> only 10 people, it woun't make much of a difference.  Your lessons
> learnt page says that no-one gets in free, which I support.

Actually, we had a LARGE cohort of free entries, and it was fortunate
we did so much better than our expected attendance, or it would have
been a problem.  Conf. committee, workshop teachers, lab teachers
(50%), and most of all, volunteers.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_Discounts

The volunteers cost us about $225 each, if you look at the food cost
we budgeted for them, and the registration packet.  For the 8-10
hours of work we got from them, $22-$25 / hour, quite a pricey item.
2006 simply hired a dozen students and paid them for their time, but
I think it was a school break at the time, which made that more
practical.  Anyhow, it worked out in the end, but it was an expected
"expense" that was sort of hidden in the budget in the difference
between "paying" and "unpaying" delegate numbers.

Paul

> 2007 organisers - do the workshop organisers get any special
> concessions
> or do they do this out of the goodness of their hearts.
> In other words, are there any hidden costs that we need to account
> for.

See the discounts page above.

P.