[Foss4g2008loc] Feedback from GISSA National Council meeting on 4 Oct

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Wed Oct 10 10:29:18 EDT 2007

Hi Dave

We're treating the conferences as one ('FOSS4G 2008 incorporating GISSA
2008'). Our numbers are based on AfricaGIS 2005 which was a joint GISSA
conference that pulled 800 people, 600 from SA and 200 from the rest of
the world. If for FOSS4G2008 we attract 200 from Europe and North
America, 200 from 'the rest of the world' and 600 from SA again, we
should be fairly confident of the numbers. That's why we plan to be
covered even if only 600 attend, which we think is unlikely. In terms of
marketing, for those outside SA it can be treated as 'FOSS4G2008 with
extras'. The joint aspect will be marketed in SA.

Re financial backing, so far GISSA is taking all the risk and we have no
backing from OSGeo other than statements in the RFP to the effect that
OSGeo would provide bridging finance (which did not come about and
shouldn't be necessary now) and that OSGeo would cover or share losses
if they should occur. That is why we are drafting an agreement with
OSGeo to cover these bases more formally.

regards

Gavin