[Foss4g2008loc] conference topics

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 15 10:48:08 EDT 2007

For what it's worth - I agree completely with Carrin's request.

If we truly believe that FOSS software can stand up to and even
exceed Proprietary alternatives - there should be nothing to be
feared, and everything to be gained from an open forum for comparison
and debate. In addition - where FOSS has shortcomings, it's important
to understand what they are and where they exist .. we can't easily
do that in a bubble. Being as *open* as possible to everyone is
central to the success of FOSS software and community.

FOSS clearly needs to be a priority for this event - in particular
regarding workshops and learning opportunities around these core FOSS
technologies. However, let's welcome the debate with proprietary
technologies -- just having the debate is a sign of maturing and
coming of age of open source technologies in the geospatial arena.

my 2 cents.

Dave