[Foss4g2008loc] welcome to the year of FOSS4G2008!

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Tue Jan 15 02:26:44 EST 2008

Hi everyone

I'm happy to see splutterings of activity emerging again in the LOC
after the southern hemisphere summer break.  The conference is no longer
'next year' and the next few weeks will be critical for our success.

Items that need our attention now include:

*sponsorship and exhibitors

*calls for papers and workshops

*conference website and registration

*decisions around and publication of conference deadlines - early bird
registration, papers, etc.

Some off-list activity has been happening since my last post:

-          The budget is at OSGeo for approval - thanks Petro

-          e-mail enquiries are picking up - thanks for dealing with
these Karryn

-          sponsorship requests are starting to trickle in, including
from Google.

-          I have decided (with some discussion) to move the website
onto the OSGeo-hosted conference management system
(http://www.osgeo.org/ocs/index.php/foss4g/2008/index), which Tyler has
kindly set up for us. Graeme, Dewald and any other volunteers, we'll
need a concerted effort over the next couple of weeks to move content
across and update it, get the registration system up and add new
content. When it's looking good and working well we'll switch from the
current one. Would the web working group please organise a work plan
around making this happen.

-          Magda and Dawn are gearing up the sponsorship process.

-          Karryn has been tightening up accommodation deals and
conference centre and gala dinner arrangements

LOC members please refresh yourselves regarding your portfolios and
report progress.   Please move all discussion onto the list unless it
really needs to be offline or private.

For my part I'll be reconciling recent threads, double checking final
versions of sponsorship prospectus, letterhead, budget, etc. and
pestering portfolio holders.

Here's to a great year and a great conference!

Gavin Fleming MSc, Pr. GISc Technologist

Senior GISc and Sustainable Development Researcher

FOSS4G2008 <http://www.foss4g2008.org/>  conference chair

Mintek, 200 Malibongwe Drive (formerly Hans Strijdom Drive)

P/Bag X3015, Randburg, 2125, South Africa

w: +27-11-709-4668 c: 0845965680 f: 0866164820

xmpp (Jabber, Google Talk, etc.): gavinjfleming at gmail.com

Skype: phlemingo

27.9782E 26.0896S