[Foss4g2008loc] welcome to the year of FOSS4G2008!
mroos at geoscience.org.za
Tue Jan 15 03:51:56 EST 2008
Did you circulate the final prospectus? I need a copy urgently but can only find the last draft copy (nov 2007).
Will appreciate it if you can send me a copy again or must I ask Inge?
----- Original Message -----
From: Gavin Fleming
To: FOSS4G2008 local organising committee
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:26 AM
Subject: [Foss4g2008loc] welcome to the year of FOSS4G2008!
I'm happy to see splutterings of activity emerging again in the LOC after the southern hemisphere summer break. The conference is no longer 'next year' and the next few weeks will be critical for our success.
Items that need our attention now include:
*sponsorship and exhibitors
*calls for papers and workshops
*conference website and registration
*decisions around and publication of conference deadlines - early bird registration, papers, etc.
Some off-list activity has been happening since my last post:
- The budget is at OSGeo for approval - thanks Petro
- e-mail enquiries are picking up - thanks for dealing with these Karryn
- sponsorship requests are starting to trickle in, including from Google.
- I have decided (with some discussion) to move the website onto the OSGeo-hosted conference management system (http://www.osgeo.org/ocs/index.php/foss4g/2008/index), which Tyler has kindly set up for us. Graeme, Dewald and any other volunteers, we'll need a concerted effort over the next couple of weeks to move content across and update it, get the registration system up and add new content. When it's looking good and working well we'll switch from the current one. Would the web working group please organise a work plan around making this happen.
- Magda and Dawn are gearing up the sponsorship process.
- Karryn has been tightening up accommodation deals and conference centre and gala dinner arrangements
LOC members please refresh yourselves regarding your portfolios and report progress. Please move all discussion onto the list unless it really needs to be offline or private.
For my part I'll be reconciling recent threads, double checking final versions of sponsorship prospectus, letterhead, budget, etc. and pestering portfolio holders.
Here's to a great year and a great conference!
Gavin Fleming MSc, Pr. GISc Technologist
Senior GISc and Sustainable Development Researcher
FOSS4G2008 conference chair
Mintek, 200 Malibongwe Drive (formerly Hans Strijdom Drive)
P/Bag X3015, Randburg, 2125, South Africa
w: +27-11-709-4668 c: 0845965680 f: 0866164820
xmpp (Jabber, Google Talk, etc.): gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Disclaimer Legal Notice:
By having opened and read this electronic mail, you are deemed to have understood and accepted all disclaimers and conditions pertaining to electronic mail emanating from, and received by The Council for Geoscience, further detail of which may be viewed by clicking here:
FOSS4G2008LOC mailing list
FOSS4G2008LOC at lists.osgeo.org
Disclaimer Legal Notice:
By having opened and read this electronic mail, you are deemed to have
understood and accepted all disclaimers and conditions pertaining to
electronic mail emanating from, and received by The Council for Geoscience,
further detail of which may be viewed at the following hyperlink:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the FOSS4G2008LOC