[Foss4g2008loc] Proceedings and/or CD

Graeme McFerren gmcferren at csir.co.za
Tue Mar 11 02:49:39 EDT 2008

Thanks Paul.

Bear in mind that the OSGEO Conference Platform is designed to handle the conference content, and I am sure that this very task is one of the reasons why OSGEO has gone with the system - it will allow  for a collection of FOSS4G presentations down the years, accessible from one place. The CD is important for an African audience minus bandwidth, as Inge suggests, but it is important that the content is available around the world to the broader FOSS4G community too, linkable as Paul S suggests. An ISO may also be an option, but my guess is that due to the varied nature of the presentations we hope to attract, folks might be less keen to download the whole thing. Maybe some smaller, focussed ISO's.

Will it be enough for the academic track simply to be published on a CD with an ISBN? Will that attract people to submit academic papers? The one obvious place to publish the academic papers would be in the OSGeo Journal, but a similar question holds - is its profile high enough to attract submissions?

Graeme

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 20:42 -0700, Dave Patton wrote:
> > 4.How does the "open community process" work on the selection of
> > presentations?
>
> How did it work for FOSS4G2007, or how do people
> want to make it work for 2008?

If I could make a suggestion. I could set up a site for presentations
that people can download them in a bunch of formats as well. Check out
http://chameleon.uwc.ac.za as an example.

This kind of thing works really well for us and our general
presentations that I make around the world and as an additional bonus,
people can comment and or include presentations in blogs etc as well.

--Paul

--
| Chisimba PHP5 Framework - http://avoir.uwc.ac.za           |