[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Foss4g2009] What domain name for foss4g2009?

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Sat Jul 26 12:11:43 EDT 2008

On 2008/07/26 3:24 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> As per comments, We will stick with the URL: http://foss4g.org/2009
>
> Janelle, can you please ensure your techies reference this domain
> name when they request the service be setup.

 From my understanding of things, the current situation is that
"foss4g.org" is an existing (second level) domain name,
registered to OSGeo.org [1], and is configured so that HTTP
requests to that second level domain name [2] are resolved to
the third level domain name www.foss4g.org. Currently, HTTPS
requests [3] to the second level domain foss4g.org do not
resolve to a third level domain name.

Therefore I think two things need to be done:
1)
A server, and some content, needs to be associated
with http://www.foss4g.org/ - presumably a single
'index.html' page would suffice. It could contain
an explanation of "FOSS4G", and links to the OSGeo
website as well as current and past FOSS4G conferences.
2)
For FOSS4G2009, we need access to a part of the
server's filesystem that maps to requests for
http://www.foss4g.org/2009/ (/2009/ is the Path
in that URL, not part of the the domain name).
I'm not clear if HTTPS access will be required.
3)
Given the above, although it's not required for
FOSS4G2009, the implication would be that the
server should be configured so that requests for
'other years' will result in meaningful content.
For example, http://www.foss4g.org/2007/ should
redirect to http://www.foss4g2007.org/ (unless
that content is moved to the foss4g.org server,
and foss4g2007.org redirects there). Perhaps a
custom 404 Not Found mechanism could redirect
requests for URLs such as http://foss4g.org/2010/
to the 'main foss4g.org page'.

[1] http://samspade.org/whois/foss4g.org
[2] http://foss4g.org/