[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Foss4g2009] What domain name for foss4g2009?

Bruce Bannerman bruce at bannerman.id.au
Sun Jul 27 03:37:45 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 09:11 -0700, Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2008/07/26 3:24 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

>  From my understanding of things, the current situation is that
> "foss4g.org" is an existing (second level) domain name,
> registered to OSGeo.org [1], and is configured so that HTTP
> requests to that second level domain name [2] are resolved to
> the third level domain name www.foss4g.org.

My take here is that the www is actually a server name not a sub-domain
name.

> Currently, HTTPS
> requests [3] to the second level domain foss4g.org do not
> resolve to a third level domain name.

Given the above, as long as we have a correctly configured dns service
(e.g. bind) that knows about the server www we shouldn't have a
problem.

An application trying to communicate with www should then be able to
find it whether it is using https, or any other relevant protocol.

Bruce