[Foss4g2009] Re: FOSS4G 2009 Logo

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Mon Jun 16 11:22:29 EDT 2008

On 2008/06/15 9:17 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Folks, What do people think about the logos?
>
> I love the ribbon in the shape of the opera house. International
> people, do you think Sydney when you see that shape?

No. To me it's along the lines of "oh, it's
in Sydney ... maybe that's supposed to be the
opera house", rather than what a logo should do:
"oh, that's the Sydney Opera House, I guess the
conference is in Australia".

To me, the most distinctly Australian part of
all the logos is the boomerang shape. Even more so
than the outline of the continent. I wonder if there
could be an effective combination of the FOSS4G
ribbon, the opera house roof outline, and a
boomerang shape?

I'd suggest a couple of things be kept in mind
when reviewing potential logos, because you want
the logo to be used in various situations:
1)
All proposed logos should be presented in at
least two versions - in black & white, and
in color. It may also be worthwhile to present
both of those variations on a non-white
background as well.
2)
Will the proposed logo "work" if the text is
removed, or moved?

As an example, look at FOSS4G 2007:
A)
This page uses a version of the logo that
has 'all the text', and a white background:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2007
B)
This PDF uses the same 'logo', but with
slightly different text, also on a white
background:
http://www.osgeo.org/sites/osgeo.org/files/webfiles/conference/archives/foss4g/2007/foss4g2007_Conference_Evaluation_Form.pdf
C)
This PDF uses the same 'logo', but with
slightly different text, and because it is
on a colored background, different colors:
http://www.osgeo.org/sites/osgeo.org/files/webfiles/conference/archives/foss4g/2007/foss4g2007_Program.pdf

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems