[Foss4g2009] Nominations for position of Local Organising Committee Chair for FOSS4G-2009

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri May 2 14:35:25 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Normally there is a conference committee that actually operates the
> conference (often called the Local Operating Committee or LOC).  It
> appears you are suggesting another committee beyond this.  I would
> gentle discourage this.  My suggestion is to make the LOC mailing
> list subscription open to anyone but keep it straight that extra
> readers/posters aren't actually LOC members and don't get votes on
> decisions.  They just get the opportunity to comment, suggest,
> volunteer, etc.

I thought that the structure we had for FOSS4G2007 worked well.

Organizing Committee:
http://www.foss4g2007.org/about_foss4g/
The "Victoria Committee" wasn't really
a separate committee - it's just the people
who lived geographically close to Victoria:
- Paul, Brian, Evert, and Dave in Victoria
- Jason in Nanaimo (2 hours: drive)
- Tyler in Williams Lake (9+ hours: drive + ferry)
- Dale in Vancouver (4 hours: drive + ferry)
Two mailing lists were used - the general public
conference mailing list, and a private list only
for the Organizing Committee, which was only used
when there had to be non-public discussions.
Almost all meetings were via conference call, but
there were some meetings were some of the committee
members met face to face (and sometimes included
a conference call as well). All meetings included
the participation of Sea to Sky, the conference
organizers, including on-site meetings at the
conference venue.

Workshop Committee:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_Workshops#FOSS4G_Workshop_Committee_Members
Jody is the only other person on that list
who lives in Victoria. The Workshop Committee chair
should be a member of the Organizing Committee.
Two mailing lists were used - a general 'workshops
list', for discussions with and by the Workshop
and Lab Instructors (Instructors were required to
join this list), and a private list for Workshop
Committee members for non-public discussions.
Almost all the committee meetings took place on
IRC, with the last three meetings prior to the
conference being via conference call.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems