[Foss4g2009] Nominations for position of Local Organising Committee Chair for FOSS4G-2009

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 2 14:03:47 EDT 2008

>> In addition I think that we need to officially set up a FOSS4G 2009
>> committee, which works the same as other OSGeo committees. Ie, anyone
>> can join, the committee doesn't have any legal teeth, but provides
>> recommendations to the Board of Aust-NZ chapter of OSGeo, or OSGeo
>> Board. The FOSS4G committee has a chair.
>>
>> The FOSS4G chair should be assigned by Aust-NZ OSGeo chapter (and
>> confirmed by OSGeo Board as the Aust-NZ chapter is not legal yet).

Folks,

Normally there is a conference committee that actually operates the
conference (often called the Local Operating Committee or LOC).  It
appears you are suggesting another committee beyond this.  I would
gentle discourage this.  My suggestion is to make the LOC mailing list
subscription open to anyone but keep it straight that extra readers/posters
aren't actually LOC members and don't get votes on decisions.  They just
get the opportunity to comment, suggest, volunteer, etc.

Also, you are encouraged to bounce ideas, and ask for volunteers on the
general conference committee (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee).

I feel that yet another committee (advisory committee for FOSS4G 2009)
would be somewhat unnecessary complication, and if those folks don't join
the LOC public list they will have trouble keeping up on what is happening
anyways.

Jeff, any thoughts on this?

Best regards,