[Foss4g2009] Nominations for position of Local Organising Committee Chair for FOSS4G-2009

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri May 2 17:21:07 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> My intent is that Sydney follows the previous committee structure set up
> by previous conferences, and we have copied our Governance text from the
> Victoria conference.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Governance
>
> I see that my proposed structure was slightly different to this, and
> agree that we should modify the proposal to fall in line with previous
> OSGeo Conferences.
>
> So if I understand correctly, we will have:
> 0. FOSS4G2009 local committee, which is a subset of the FOSS4G2009
> committee.
> 1. FOSS4G2009 committee. This committee will have a local chairperson,
> and answers to:
> 2. OSGeo Conference committee, who answers to:
> 3. OSGeo Board.

Perhaps it's unfortunate that Victoria used the
term "local committee". Perhaps "local members
of the Organizing committee" would be better.

I would amend the above to be:
1. FOSS4G2009 subcommittees. For example, the
Workshop/Lab Committee. The chairperson will be
local, and will be a member of the FOSS4G2009
committee. Subcommittees make non-binding
recommendations to the FOSS4G2009 committee:
2. FOSS4G2009 committee. This committee will have both
local members and non-local members, with the chairperson
being local, and answers to:
3. OSGeo Conference committee, who answers to:
4. OSGeo Board.

For FOSS4G2007, there was no "voting" by the
"local committee" - all decisions that needed
a 'committee vote' were done by the "FOSS4G2007
Organizing Committee".

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems