[Foss4g2009] Code Sprint

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Sun Oct 12 13:52:06 EDT 2008

On 2008/10/12 4:05 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I'm very strongly against having a code sprint before FOSS4G.

> So while I can see the merits to attendees of having the code sprint
> first, in practice, it puts too much risk on the main event. (We also
> might find we have some extra $$ left over from the conference, which
> could be splashed around the code sprint).

A)
We don't have to decide the "before vs after" now.
B)
You won't know about "money left over" that soon
after the conference, but you should have a good
idea weeks before the conference.
C)
Maybe someone(local, or Jody?) will volunteer to
coordinate the Code Sprint, leaving the OC members
to deal with other issues.
D)
It doesn't have to be 'either before or after' or
'with a break or not'. We will likely have multiple
BOF sessions, so it may be possible to provide the
foundation for multiple variations of "the Code Sprint",
and let the coordinator work it out with the various
groups how it will take place. Maybe an 'official Code
Sprint', that is advertised in conference material,
immediately after the conference, but as the time draws
nearer, perhaps add more "Code Sprint time", such as
on the weekend before the conference.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems