[Foss4g2009] Code Sprint

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sun Oct 12 13:58:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 10:16 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I'd again disagree... (hard to get a plurality in this forum, ain't it
> :)... for those putting together a somewhat compressed schedule
> (*cough* me) , starting right after the conference is beneficial. And
> there's "momentum", etc. Those who are doing longer trips with
> vacation time, can take their time after the sprint. Many people left
> the Victoria sprint in the evening and got right on a plane, for
> example.

Interesting.  If we have the code sprint in Town, we can do Sat- Mon
following the conf.  If we move to a different location (Blue Mountains/
South coast etc- abt 1.5- 2 hrs away by train) we loose half a day in
travel, moving disruption etc.  We would then have the choice of 2.5
days (finishing Mon) or 3.5 days (finishing Tues).

I'm somewhat in favour of the out of town option:
*  Those who've come a long way get an opportunity to experience more of
what we have to offer whilst still on the job.

*  The accommodation should also be a little cheaper

*  Most (all?) sprinters would end up staying in the same spot rather
than spread out over a number of city hotels.

*  If we choose our location well, we should also have round the clock
access to semi-dedicated communal gathering spots and our own wireless
facilities for those who like to code or bof at odd hours.  Internet
access in City hotels is also notoriously expensive in Aust- Typically
AU$30/night (or expensive by the hour if you prefer).  This is in
contrast to say Uni facilities where we would most likely only have
access to facilities during "reasonable" hours.

With this I'm working on a mental model of what I imagine the Bologna
sprint may have been like (not having first hand knowledge of how it all
panned out).  If I get rolled on this no big deal (I'm used to that!).

Code sprint wiki page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Code_Sprint

Regards,
Tim

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.