[Foss4g2009] Workshops

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Oct 20 09:31:46 EDT 2008

Thanks for all the good framing questions Dave. I'm going to go down
and cherrypick

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Dave Patton <davep at confluence.org> wrote:
> What is the timeframe for holding Workshops?
> How many Workshop slots should there be?
> 3-hour slots?

I agree with Jeff, let the Labs die. Instead, go for two days of
3-hour workshops, Mon/Tues, so you can get as much bang for the
logistical buck as possible.

> How many simultaneous slots?(e.g. 6 at once, like
> Victoria, making for a total of 12 Workshops)?

Decide post-facto when you've got your roster. Probable more than 4
and no more than 6.

> Any specific restrictions?

No, let the committee decide.

> Audience balance for the Workshops?
> How many aimed at "beginners"?
> How many aimed at "intermediate"?
> How many aimed at "advanced"?
> How many aimed at "developers"?

Lots of beginner workshops and try to find topics of interest. Do not
be afraid to schedule a beginner topic twice, if we're doing two days.
 Intro to PostGIS or Intro to OpenLayers or Intro to Mapserver could
all probably run twice and still fill up.

> Incremental Registration Cost for Workshop attendance?
> Aim to break even?
> Aim to make X profit?

Figure out the fixed expenses now (rooms, hardware, food) now and then
see how "reasonable" various pricings above that number look.