[Foss4g2009] Workshops

Bruce Bannerman bruce at bannerman.id.au
Wed Oct 22 05:19:51 EDT 2008

Arnulf,

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 15:53 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> my 2 Ct.
>
> >> 3)
> >> Any specific restrictions?
> >> Only Workshops that haven't been delivered before?
> >> Only content that is 100% Open Source?
> >> Must be 'hands on'.
> >> Only use provided PCs(no "bring your own laptop")?
> >
> > Workshops must promote the use of FOSS4G.  I don't see a '100% Open
> > Source content' requirement being necessary.
>
> I suggest we be very clear that we want Open Source content. At the same time - if this means that somebody wants to show how to connect to an Oracle DB or how to include a WMS based on an ESRI service that is fine by me. But I suggest that we stick to being very strict about what is Open Source so as to avoid having people give workshops on something that is "going to be published as Open Source soon" and the like. But as all workshops have to be sent in to the committee for approval first anyway we can discuss any discrepancies in due time.
>
> To make this point clear the announcement should specify that we want to have 100% FOSS workshops only.

I think that we need to allow some grey here.

We need to be able to demonstrate to potential decision makers that
FOSS4G does indeed play well with proprietary products.

We cannot expect modern enterprises to have a purely green fields site
and be able to use only FOSS with no LEGACY proprietary solutions in
place. I'm expecting a number of decision makers at 2009.

I would be perfectly happy to see workshops such as:

- How to serve your 'Product X' data to the world using FOSS4G

  (you don't have to sign on to the latest upgrade path. Make your
   investment work for you!)

- Using Desktop FOSS4G with data stored in 'Product X'

  (reduce your licensing costs, and discover the world
   of free and open source software!)

We discussed this briefly in a thread on OSGeo-AustNZ a few months ago.
See:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/aust-nz/2008-July/000608.html

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/aust-nz/2008-July/000609.html

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/aust-nz/2008-July/000610.html