[Foss4g2009] Workshops

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Oct 20 09:53:38 EDT 2008

my 2 Ct.

>> 3)
>> Any specific restrictions?
>> Only Workshops that haven't been delivered before?
>> Only content that is 100% Open Source?
>> Must be 'hands on'.
>> Only use provided PCs(no "bring your own laptop")?
>
> Workshops must promote the use of FOSS4G.  I don't see a '100% Open
> Source content' requirement being necessary.

I suggest we be very clear that we want Open Source content. At the same time - if this means that somebody wants to show how to connect to an Oracle DB or how to include a WMS based on an ESRI service that is fine by me. But I suggest that we stick to being very strict about what is Open Source so as to avoid having people give workshops on something that is "going to be published as Open Source soon" and the like. But as all workshops have to be sent in to the committee for approval first anyway we can discuss any discrepancies in due time.

To make this point clear the announcement should specify that we want to have 100% FOSS workshops only.

I like the idea of having people bring their own notebooks. But it will be almost impossible for some workshops so maybe have it up to the presenters how to go about it.

> Great points Dave!

Dito, thanks Dave and Jeff.

Best regards,
Arnulf.